What is Winlink?
Winlink is a network of amateur radio and authorized government-licensed stations that provides worldwide radio email using radio pathways where the internet is not present. The system is built, operated and administered entirely by licensed amateur radio volunteers. It supports email with attachments, position reporting, weather and information bulletins, and is well-known for its role in interoperable emergency and disaster relief communications. It is capable of operating completely without the internet automatically using smart-network radio relays.
Getting Started with Winlink
ARPSC member should have some familiarity with Winlink to send messages to support our served agencies in emergencies and during exercises. For those ARPSC members that have not used Winlink, here’s some info on getting started with Winlink.
- Download Winlink Express (these instructions apply to windows computers only)
- Visit Winlink.org, click on the downloads link, then click on the User Programs link.
- On the next page download the complete Winlink Express package. The file is called Winlink Express Install xxxx.zip, where ‘xxxx’ is the current version number.
- Register and obtain a Winlink account
- Open Winlink Express, with an internet connection fill out the form presented on first startup after installation. See the help article “Basic Configuration” for guidance.
- Be sure to include a password and password recovery address. Click ‘Update’. Winlink Express makes the process easy.
- Winlink Accounts Requirements.
- Winlink accounts must be used with client program use via radio or telnet connections only; Webmail and other accesses don’t count!.
- Accounts off-air for 400 days are automatically purged.
- Use it or loose it!
Winlink Web Links https://arsfi.org/ https://winlink.org/ https://hamradioprep.com/winlink/ https://winlink.org/RMSChannels https://w8cmn.net/mi7-winlink/ https://winlink.org/content/winlink_book_knowledge
Here are some good video training resources:
What Is Winlink? (Good introduction using a kpc3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGhUfW8pjY8
This is a very basic video on how to install Winlink and get your Account setup by AG6AG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSLghO6RgFU
Installing Sound Modem and Easy Term For FM Packet Operations by AG6AG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0goPLAozNg
Interfacing Sound Modem and WinLink To Send Email Via Packet by AG6AG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjFbO7SNrl0
Using a Sound Modem TNC for VHF Packet in Winlink Express by K4REF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0OMNZCEVA